Monday, December 8, 2008

Winter Camping

So, this weekend, I went out with the troop to camp for two nights in a winter storm warning. You may think I'm crazy, and you're probably right, but it was probably one of the best campouts I've had. We've gone winter camping before, but the snow has usually been wet or melting crap...Not this weekend. There was already a good 8 inches or so when we got there and we probably got that much again over the weekend. It was snowing non-stop until about 9 o'clock Saturday night. But, the great thing was, it was all perfect powder. We actually hiked cross-country (i.e. straight through the woods with a map and compass...not on trails)for about 4.5 miles and it wasn't bad. The worst part was when we'd get moving pretty good and start to sweat, then that would freeze. But it was pretty good for the most part. I only got cold once on the trip and that was Sunday morning when i woke up and my boots were chunks of solid ice. But once I started moving and they thawed out, all was good.

So, all in all, it was a really good campout and I think the younger guys learned a lot. Now I just get to look forward to doing it all over again in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment